Facts about yarn:
- The earliest yarn shows up in Switzerland 7000 years ago.
- The first synthetic fibers (rayon) showed up in 1891 but it wasn’t available in the retail marked until 1911.
- 50 years later nylon and polyester were invented and applications grew and grew.
- The ring frame was invented in 1733 by John Thorpe and is still used by some today.
- Wikipedia defines yarn as a ” is a long continuous length of interlocked fibers, suitable for use in the production of textiles, sewing, crocheting, knitting, weaving, embroidery, or rope making. Thread is a type of yarn intended for sewing by hand or machine. Modern manufactured sewing threads may be finished with wax or other lubricants to withstand the stresses involved in sewing.”
info obtained from “How Products are Made” and Wikipedia.